Followers

Friday, October 5, 2012

An Indie Author Publishes her Own Novel: News at 11

How to make it sound like a hit?

My novel was written from my heart. The character Justine seemed to come to me - to my mind. One of the first methods I practiced was writing letters from her to me. In those letters, she was adamant: She wants her story told.

Like Justine, I grew up in the Central Valley. When she was a senior, I was an eighth grader, devastated when Bobby Kennedy was assassinated during the final days of that school year. At our graduation, I wore my first heels - and they had to be very low pumps - and I gave the invocation, during which I had to call for a moment of silence in honor of Robert F. Kennedy.

No one talked about Cesar Chavez - not at school, not at home. Even in those classes where teachers get right to the nitty gritty, they didn't mention Cesar Chavez or the grape strike. It was in our backyard but no one I knew was talking about it. That was the era we "hippies" wanted to escape from. Plastic!

I wanted to write a novel that would capture the awakening the media and the movements occasioned and the effects on a young girl trying to be real.

Does it sound like a hit to you? One of my few male readers asked, after reading the first chapter, if there would be any murders or action. Alack and alas, my book is not action filled. It is no DaVinci Code.

What it is is a first novel written from the heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment